Why, you ask? Broken, scared, angry and sad amethysts always find me. [Always]. It seems as if they are magnetically drawn to me, which in all truthfulness I don’t mind. I love amethysts. They are my birth stone (depending on the tradition you use) and they were my introduction into the wonderful world of crystal energy.
Although they are wonderful crystals, amethysts are notorious for being EXTREMELY fickle! (That’s right I went there). And they often find their way to me in need of some serious TLC. Out of all the crystals I own or have encountered, I read the energy of amethyst the most clearly. They literally speak to me and say “I need this, I need that” or sometimes “I don’t know what I need, please help!” Perhaps others can learn from my amethyst experiences. So here they are…
General Tips for Living with and Caring for Amethysts
- A salt bath will never be turned down. Amethysts love salt baths. I think partially because they are so fickle and partially because they can be kind of self-important snobs. They don’t like any residual energy left by other stones/peoples/circumstances, so any chance to cleanse off non-amethyst energy they will take.
- They love bells. Seriously, if you are having a hard time experiencing the energy of an amethyst, gently ring a bell over the top of the stone. It’ll perk right up. Why? Well, my intuition tells me it’s because amethysts work on the spiritual plane, third eye kind of stuff. Bells are a symbol of air, which to me also represented the higher planes of thought. Second the vibrations made by a bell help align the energetic vibrations of the amethyst.
- Give the amethyst some moonlight! Seriously! As much as possible and you’ll have a happier stone. Remember too, just because you can’t see the moon (clouds, street lights, etc), doesn’t mean the amethyst can’t absorb the moon’s energy. Of course a brightly shining moon is always favored, but they are happy to just sit in the window sill on a cloudy night.
- Amethyst geodes or natural cut amethysts are able to keep their energies aligned better. So if you have a mis-aligned amethyst, snuggle it up to an amethyst geode. The mis-aligned stone will re-align itself to match the geode.
- Listen. Amethysts have a lot of things to teach us and they are hyper-aware of all spiritual issues we are currently facing. So listen, you’ll learn a lot.
*The Married Couple*
My first amethyst came to me from a wonderful little shop. I bought two stones there. The amethyst and the quartz with black tourmaline seen below. These two stones are my old married couple, although the quartz keeps the amethyst young. (Yes, I personify the energy of my stones as it seems to be the only way to explain things… these stones aren’t really married.) This amethyst taught me how to feel the energy of an amethyst. It’s pointed shape intensifies it’s energy so it was easy to pick up on. For some reason, whenever I moved into a new place I would naturally place these stones together. After years of doing this, I finally figured out why, their energy was stronger together. They balance each other. And they are used to each other (hence my married couple).
*The Grandma*
My next amethyst I found at a street arts & crafts fair. I saw it in this tent filled with other stones (many of them amethyst). I instantly went to this stone and picked it up. It seemed sad, but SO powerful. I was close to broke at the time, so I regretfully set it down and walked to the entrance of the tent. That’s as far as I got. I turned around and bought the stone with the last of my money. The woman said she had had that stone for years. People would pick it up, but never buy it. I told her I didn’t know why, but I had to buy it. This amethyst has taught me about the wisdom that amethysts have and it has gotten me through many a rough time. I think she was looking for her “forever” home and was waiting for the right person to come around.
* Kokopelli *
At the same street fair, my (at the time) roommate bought an amethyst with a Kokopelli glass figure glued on top. One thing I’ve learned is amethysts really don’t like to be modified or used without their consent. Sure enough, the Kokopelli figure broke off and now all that is left is glue (which is near impossible to remove). Once the Kokopelli broke, my roommate wasn’t as interested in the stone and it eventually ended up being mine. Right now this stone is going through a quiet phase. It’s helping to stabilize a struggling jade plant and mostly just wants to be left alone. So much so, that I often forget I even own this piece. When it’s ready, I’ll help wake it up and try to get the glue off again.
* Marriage *
This next amethyst I really don’t know when or how it got into my life. But as I was looking for stones to add to my husband and my wedding broom, this amethyst raised its hand and said “Me, me, me!” But remember, amethysts are fickle things. It stayed attached to the broom long enough to get through the ceremony, then it simply said “Ok, that was fun but I’ve had enough now.” And it disconnected itself from the broom and almost got lost in the grass. Our priestess/officiant found it and gave it to me. In my hurried bride-state, I put it in a redwood bowl our whole family had used for a sand ceremony. I thought, at least it won’t get lost here and I’ll re-attach it to the broom later. By the time later came around, I dug the amethyst out of the sand and was about to try and re-attach it to the broom when I got this intense feeling that it did NOT want to go anywhere. It was happily content in the blue and green sand. So there it stays. Slightly out of character for an amethyst, in my opinion, as I found they don’t like to be put away. But I check on it now and then and it doesn’t complain.
* The Diva *
This amethyst necklace was given to me by my mother-in-law this year for my birthday. I’m pretty sure I know the shop she got it from and it had not so good crystal vibes. This stone came to me VERY angry. I tried to wear it and got a massive headache and felt all irritable. So I sat with “the Diva” and listened to what she needed. Salt bath, most definitely. Then some re-tuning with the use of a bell. A quickly jotted note about letting go of anger, marked in the four corners with patchouli. And some good old cuddle time with Grandma Amethyst near a window with moon light. One night later, the amethyst was done with Grandma Amethyst and wanted some alone time with the moon. A few days after, she was suitable for wearing. She packs quite a punch and is by far the neediest amethyst of the bunch.
* The Hippie *
I had a very amethyst birthday this year because my mom also got me an amethyst necklace. This necklace is WAY low key and really is just "cool with whatever, man... it’s all cool."
* The Ugly Duckling *
This is actually my husband’s amethyst. He’s had it since he was a little boy. His mother got it for him because it had an awesome air plant growing on top of it. But years later, the air plant was dead weight. I went downstairs to my husband’s music studio and this little guy called out to me. He was done with the dead air plant hanging out on top of him and needed some assistance getting it off. A long soak in a salt bath, a long soak in well, dish soap, a lengthy procedure with an exact-o-knife and another salt bath later, he’s feeling a bit better. This amethyst is almost shy. He’s still trying to figure things out and needs a few more nights in the moon. If I was able to do this one over, I would wait to give him a salt bath until the end. He had almost gone to sleep with this dead plant on top of him for years, he pulled inward and was dormant. But the salt bath woke him up and his energy was crazy, stressed out. Almost as if he was screaming “Arg, get this off of me!” Anyway, all is well now. Also, I’m not sure but this guy looks like he has some citrine around the bottom. What do you think?
I love it! This was so fascinating. I hope you don't mind, but i copied the general tips for caring for amethyst into a Word document for myself. I'm like a sponge when it comes to learning and will "sit at the feet" of just about anyone who is willing to share knowledge and their view point on subjects that I find interesting.
ReplyDeleteI really like the clear, clean ring of Tibetan bells. That's wonderful for crystals.
I tend to go through "crystal phases"...just recently Rose Quartz was my favorite stone and I wore that around my neck for months. But now I'm drawn to amethyst's calming and spiritual energy and are never without that now.
I really like your "Hippie" necklace and I LOVE the quartz with the black tourmaline! It looks like you got an Ametrine cluster on your hands :)
Hope you decide to share more of your crystals in the future. This was fun!
Hi Kim, for sure you can print/copy/share whatever you like! I'm not proprietary with any wisdom I gain.
ReplyDeleteI would love to get some Tibetan bells. We sold them in my good ole bookshop, but I never could afford to buy them. In the same boat now. The bell I have is some old strange thing. I don't even think the clapper is original, just some hastily fixed thing. Anyway, it doesn't seem to matter too much.
I love my hippie necklace too! And you couldn't see in the picture, but the back of the silver part reads "Clarity. It increases your psychic powers. The protective powers of the amethyst are always good to have close to you."
I've gone through crystal phases too. I went through a big rhodochrosite phase and also a jasper phase. But amethysts have always just 'been' there. A constant presence for me.
All this talk of crystals has me seriously itching to get more. I think I'm going to start a crystal fund and start saving quarters until I can afford some fun new things! :)
As long as the bell works! Hey, I've shoved dry lentils into a glass canning jar to substitute as rattle...and it worked! A "crystal fund" is a great idea...maybe stash away a few bucks every pay day :)
ReplyDeleteWhere do you buy your crystals? I'm always apprehensive about buying them on-line. I like to pick them out myself. Fortunately, there is one (and only one) metaphysical shop around here that focuses mostly on crystals. Tumbled nuggets are a reasonable price to build a good collection.
I have my eye on an Apophyllite cluster. It's sparkly like fairy dust. I read that it's good for assisting Reiki energy and accessing past lives. Good thing the shop has lay-away, because it's expensive, at least in my eyes it is.
I love talking "crystal shop"... :)
Amethysts are so wonderful and your insights are brilliant and useful.
ReplyDeleteWhen my daughter's dog died, I had an amethyst magick necklace that literally jumped out of the jewelry box and onto her neck. That whole weekend, whenever her grief would become overwhelming, I would see her clasp that amethyst and you could almost see it drawing her troubles away. What a great stone amethysts are; and yes, they seem to be very communicative.
@Kim - There is a place about 30 minutes away that sells jewelry with stones. And I think I saw some stones for sale at this antique shop in town. The truth of it is, there aren't good places to find that stuff around here so combine that with my lack of money and I haven't bought new crystals in quite some time. I bought some awesome jewelry but that's all in the past few years.
ReplyDeleteFor me, buying stones is like dating. You have to get to know them, feel their energy. That can't be done online, so I always buy in person. Two stones of the same type can have completely different vibes. Oh my gosh, I remember an Apophyllite at the good ole bookstore. When I think about what it looks like and I try to remember what it felt like to hold, the word that comes to mind is throat. Like that's the chakra where I felt the energy the most. But it was a long time ago, so who knows.
@Clara - Yes! Amethysts can be great at helping with basically whatever you need spiritually. I'm glad your daughter found comfort in one. Thank you also for you kind words. I thought it might be useful to share what I know about crystals. I don't own a single crystal book, all my knowledge is really from my instincts so I feel like I have a slightly different take on crystals that might be useful to someone. Although I did regularly peruse the Crystal Bible at the good ole bookstore on slow nights. :)
Wonderful tips and helpful ideas.Thanks for sharing.Warmest Regards,Cat
ReplyDeleteThanks Cat!
ReplyDeleteWonderful post and tribute to amethyst..yay!.such a special stone...magical and yes very spiritual!
ReplyDeleteShine on...
Victoria