Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Journey to Goddess

I felt like my story needed to be shared. So many people know bits and pieces of it, yet so few know the whole of it. As I typed this, I realized how empowering it was to give voice to this awesome journey I have taken (and continue to take).  It truly is quite long, so please read on via the link below.



Child Wisdom.

My journey to the goddess has been a long and interesting one. Really it has come full circle, twice. I once was a child that trusted her intuition, that knew the divine energy without being told, without specific names. And this child, she sang. She sang of birds and swing sets and sunlight and the joy of getting milk out of the fridge. And this child, she was wise. And then the world started to name things. This is Jesus. This is God. This is how a woman should act. This is the church. God is found in here and like this.


Catholicism.

This child that I was, she adopted these new names and worked within the confines of them. She still knew the divine but its form had changed. She was friends with Jesus. Once sitting at the dining room table she looked up at the picture of the last supper. She pointed to Jesus and said “That man was in my room today.” She was friends with Jesus and she sang new songs.

As I grew, my wisdom changed. Jesus didn’t appear to me, but I did continue to have conversations with him. Not always, usually only during my most vulnerable, stressed moments. I thought of it as Jesus speaking through my own mind, not really Jesus himself but me tapping into my own divinity and finding his wisdom there. I was proud of my faith, but found I was not always in agreement with the Church itself. I was still wise because I could separate faith with the actions of men (aka Church). And my faith, it felt good and right. But other parts of my life didn’t. Something always felt off. After high school, I feel into some very bad habits and temporarily lost my will to have faith. After spiraling downward for a year, I knew I needed change. In an attempt to salvage something I wasn’t sure was even there, I went to college.

College.

College is always a time of growth. I went to a liberal woman’s college for the sole reason that I walked on campus and it “felt” right. That little wise child I had been whispered, “We can sing here. This is right.” College was good. I took theology courses and found my faith in Jesus again. It felt strong and real because I was choosing it myself after really, truly investigating it. And yet something still felt off. But I was healing from my downward spiral and I felt myself growing wise again. Then it all changed.

Victoria.

Victoria got breast cancer. She was my rock. An older woman I leaned on for laughter and wisdom.  And in an instant, everything collapsed. There is a lot that could be said here. In fact that story has already been written and perhaps I will share it someday. But here is the turning point, the entrance of the Goddess. When I heard the news, I was a mess and ran from the building. I walked aimlessly, in a cloud. And just as it happened in my younger years, I heard Jesus. “This is a test of Vicki’s faith and yours. If you both believe in God’s power, all will be well.”

And I screamed “NO!”

And the Goddess came. In that very instant when my spirit realized how flat and incomplete that message was, the voice in my head became a female voice. A mother’s voice. “Look around you. See the world. Do you see? Do you see the colors mingling together? Do you see the life present in everything? It all works together. You cannot separate the rain from the sky, or the bark from the tree. There is a delicate balance… Should the world always be ruled by the sun, we would not know to miss the presence of the moon. Your struggle is the same. Would you know so deeply your love for Vicki, if this struggle had not beset her? You are not powerless. We are all connected and thus can affect all that we are connected to. There are no lines separating us. Look at the world. See yourself in everything around you. It is as much a part of you, as you are a part of it. Know that… and your power is found.”

Wicca.

I had found the Goddess. But years of Catholicism made me think I needed more structure. I felt like this new Goddess couldn’t be something I could understand on my own; I would need others to tell me who she was. In this search for outside knowledge, I bypassed my own wisdom, but luckily found Wicca. And more importantly Wiccan friends. Wicca closely aligned with what my own wisdom and intuition told me. But something was still off. I did rituals and spells, read books upon books, became a leader in a Pagan group on campus. It was a good time and Wicca helped bridge a gap that needed bridging, but something in me told me I wouldn’t stay forever.

Kali-ma.

My last semester in college, I had a roommate who turned out to be an energy vampire. What was supposed to be the best semester, quickly turned into the worst. I spent so much time dealing with her passive aggressive communication that I was anxious and incapable of relaxing. My friend La invited me over for lentil soup and tea. La’s house was sacred and being there, I opened up to her and told her about my roommate. She went to her room and came back with a wall hanging of Kali. “This is Kali-ma. She is death and destruction. She is mother to those without mothers and she protects her children fiercely.” I hung Kali by my bed that very day and as I laid in bed, trying to fall asleep and trying not to think about my roommate in the next room, Kali came to me. Her energy was thick and dark and heavy. She settled around me like a blanket. “Kali. Mother. Tell me what to do.” And she told me. She showed me things that had happened between my roommate and I. She asked why I let my roommate take so much of my energy. Why was I afraid to be fierce? Through her I learned that destruction is the very beginning of life. And being fierce is at the very core of the Goddess. Kali-ma taught me boundaries and self-protection. Knowing Kali-ma is like knowing the core of the earth. Scary, powerful, beautiful beyond measure and love so deep that it is dark and fierce. Since that day, when I refer to the Goddess as “Ma” I am not referring to the maiden, mother or crone but to the older, primordial Goddess that is all three and so much more.

East West.

After college, I moved to California and worked in a spiritual bookstore. I was surrounded by texts from every known religion and spiritual path. I learned so much in that bookstore, yet precious little of it came from books. It came from the people (specifically the other workers). They were so “sure” in what they knew and yet were never threatened by the differing beliefs of others. They trusted their intuition and encouraged me to trust in mine. And I did. I started knowing things before they happened. Like one day my friend La called me and as soon as I heard her voice, my intuition told me she was pregnant. And she was. Little things like that. During work I held stones and learned what the energy of an amethyst felt like compared to the energy of fluorite or jasper or quartz. I learned that books can be useful to a point but when your intuition speaks, listen. When a book says a stone can help with this or that, but your intuition says differently. Listen. I honed my intuition. To this day, I can hold stones and have a sense of their properties. Sometimes, I’ll hold a stone and make a mental list of what I think its properties are. Then later I’ll go Google the stone to see if I was close. Usually I am. Sometimes there are small differences but I chalk that up to differences in intuition.

During my time at the bookstore, I moved away from Wicca. The structured rituals didn’t fit with my new intuitive self. There are principles and wisdom within Wicca that I still follow to this day. It wasn’t painful like my departure from Catholicism. It was simply a turn in the circle, moving back to where I had first started with a little more wisdom in my pocket. So what is my path now? Much like it was in childhood, it has no name. I practice intuitive magic. There are no circles cast or corners invoked. Although there are sometimes candles, incense, stones and earth, there is mostly me and my divine energy. I do what feels right and simple and encourage others to do the same.

Reconnection.

Life is hectic with two step-children and a husband and work and life (and hopefully more children in the near future). I need to take more time for myself to reconnect with the Goddess and my own power. Hopefully this blog will be a gentle reminder to see and create magic in my life. And perhaps my journey will accidentally provide insight to someone else’s journey.

4 comments:

  1. This is so inspiring!! Thank you for sharing this. I've researched Kali-ma and found what you said about her to be the truth. Her love for her children is protective and without limit. I think because of her appearance, she tends to be a very misunderstood Goddess.

    I'm not Wiccan either. A Goddess-worshiping Pagan, yes. :) I work a lot like you do. I don't cast circles or call in the elementals. I will light a simple beeswax candles, hold a crystal and just be with the Divine Mother...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have gotten some very strange/concerned looks when I decide I need a little Kali energy around and hang up the wall-hanging I have (in the picture). And that wall hanging is very stylized. The wall hanging my friend La originally loaned me was beautiful but much, much darker.

    I think Kali is misunderstood because our culture (in the US, at least) values the duality of good and bad, of light and dark too much. These ideas are so separated in our minds that to identify with one means you cannot also identify with another. People see Kali and her darkness and push her away. Usually those who find Kali are those who have gone through very dark times and have learned that dark and light can't be separated. That's my opinion at least, based on reactions I have gotten in the past. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. A lot of it feels like you are telling MY story as well as yours. Our pasts and journey's have been very similar. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Kijet that light and darkness cannot be separated. There is a light and dark side to everything...in the universe, in nature, in people. One cannot exist without the other. I know you will agree that dark does not mean "evil". Your average person though, thinks it does. But they are mis-informed.

    As for Kali-Ma, I feel an affection toward her, as I do many of the Goddesses. I admire Kali's fierce love that she has toward her children. That's just how a mother should be. :)

    ReplyDelete