Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Inspirations and magical workings

As always, I was inspired by a post by the lovely Aine over at The Deepest Well. She was talking about candle magic and as I read, I realized it has really been quite a long time since I have done any candle magic. Years of not being able to have candles in various rentals and (mostly) college dorms left it's mark on me and I just haven't been very drawn to candles in my day to day practice.

Being that I've been in a funk for a bit, I decided giving some good old candle magic a go might be a good idea. And boy, was it! It's so easy to forget just how GOOD doing magic makes you feel. (You see, I am very forgetful.) I feel energized and wonderful right now. Not only did I just pull off some wonderful candle magic, I also worked with rune images for the first time. I carved runes into the candle, well... first concentrating my intentions while cleansing the knife in my Goddess and God candle (yeah, even God was invited to this party! I was surprised too.) and then carving the runes.

Anyway, my candle is burning brightly at the moment (figuratively and literally) and I will be relighting it for days to come.

This whole experience makes me want to talk about the power of not planning magic. Or what I call intuitive magic. I've done spells where you think about all the words you'll say, all the actions, the colors, the oils. And of course, candles and herbs and bears, oh my! And these spells can be quite pleasant, but I have always found them lacking power. For me, the most dense and real power comes from on-the-spot-plan-it-as-you-go intuitive magic. I find that when I don't plan the exact words, they come out more beautifully. When I don't plan all the color correspondence and just go with what makes sense in the moment, it has more meaning and more power. I encourage anyone interested in giving "not-planning" a try. I'd love to hear your thoughts too. Have you had similar experiences?

I feel like my energy is renewed and I am ready to go! You know what that means? Hopefully I'll get Gumbo Soul's palm reading to her soon. I said I would deliver it to her yesterday, but my energy (and intuition) was too out-of-whack. :) Tomorrow is looking like a good day to finish it!

Night everyone!

9 comments:

  1. Yes! I began using "intuitive magic" out of need. At one time in my life I was so poor I couldn't always afford the "correct" ingredients and so I started using what I had. Spells then were done rather spur of hthe moment as time was at a premium then too. As they say, there are no accidents and this changed the way I practiced. Oh sure, I kept trying to practice the way I was taught in books but like you said - the feeling was just not the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Kijjet, that's why I don't do a whole lot of spells anymore. I get so tired of having to plan it all out and locate the required 'ingredients.' Also it doesn't feel very magical when i'm reading words from a book. I try to put feeling into them, but it's hard because they aren't my words.

    You're funny....you even invited God? Well you're better than I am, because I won't even let God get his big toe in the door! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take your time with the palm reading! I'm not in a hurry. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Aine - our motto should be "Once you go intuitive, you never go back." LOL!

    @Kim - I have a strange relationship with God. He pops in every now and then but he knows to give me my distance when I need it. How I work with God energy is very simple. If it feels right that he be there, then he is. :) My relationship with God has been too personal to set it aside completely. But the Goddess does tend to get most of my attentions.

    @Gumbo Soul - I'm not giving up. I will prevail. :) The context you sent in your email will help me I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kijjet...you make me laugh! But when it really comes down to it, I think the Divine (or whatever you want to call it), really has no gender, yet is both....does that make sense?

    Though I am more comfortable seeing the Divine as a Goddess....God just didn't work out for me. But you hold onto him if. There is nothing wrong with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez...there is no way to go in and correct my crummy grammar on my previous comment? I will correct it here. Take out the word "if" before the word "him"....it shouldn't be there (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love candle magic. And all I do is intuitive magic. I have never liked other people's poetry (not that I'm a poetry snob, but my own words are more familiar and meaningful). I do keep a book of shadows with words and spells that seem to have "staying power." But there is something to be said for tapping into the Great Unconscious and then going with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay..such a Beautiful post..i love candle magic too..and yes true magic is simply ..intuitive!! Shine on..beautiful insights and wisdom as always! I think life is more magical when you follow your intuitive current and fly with it..till it simply becomes you and part of all you do!
    Love the candle photo..mega-gorgeous!!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Clara - LOL, I know what you mean. Sometimes other people's poems are beautiful and work well for me, but most of the time I love my own words in magic.

    @Kiki - I love that idea of an intuitive current! I'm keeping it. :D

    ReplyDelete