Meditation and prayer is the practice of making oneself larger than the physical self can encompass.
I recently set up an altar on top of a short piano we have. My original goal was to "sit with the Goddess" everyday. I should have been more realistic - with a baby any sort of "schedule" is a myth. But I have sat with the Goddess far more than I have in the past. Every few days (or sometimes once a week), but hey, it's improvement.
As I sat there today with the "ca-king ca-king ca-king" of the baby swing in the background, I thought about meditation. My favorite meditation is becoming a tree. Sounds weird, yes, but I feel so grounded and at peace afterward. I throw my roots out into the earth and replenish my own energy, drawing it into myself. Then I grow outward, above my head, imaging pushing branches and leaves into existence, imagining my leaves fluttering in the wind, being at peace. It's a renewal and also a reminder that I am so much more than my physical self can contain.
Today the Goddess wanted me to work on shielding. How many of you out there work on shielding as part of your practice? So often we run into unpleasant energies out in the world. If we have no shield, those energies are welcomed right in to mix with our own. (Hence why grumpiness is contagious). We've been having some unpleasant energy in our house and although that comes with the territory - families are hard work - I don't think I contribute positively when I let their energies affect me. This is why I think the Goddess wanted me to practice shielding. It is hard to do in the moment, if you aren't practiced. I practice just by pushing my shield outward, firming it, then exploring it with my hands. Where do I feel it strongest, what happens when I push against it - does it expand or weaken.
Shielding is something I was VERY good at when I worked in retail. You really have to be! But it's been awhile since my retail years and I definitely notice it is harder to throw up an impromptu shield. My favorite shield memory (and I may have shared this story before on this blog, no idea) was when I worked at East West bookstore in California. They were having an event that drew in an "interesting" crowd. I won't say anymore about the event or the crowd because I don't want to offend anyone by wild generalizations. Anyhoo... one of the people that came to the event saw me looking tired at the counter (I was working 2 or 3 jobs at the time). She asked me if I like dolphins. When I said sure, who doesn't, she backed up and started forming an "energy dolphin". My co-worker and I looked at each other and psychically said "Uh-oh" and we both threw up our shields. No energy dolphins for us. Sorry, but you don't just throw your energy at someone else without asking. That's like picking a booger for someone else, you just don't do it. Especially if that person is paid to be nice to you. LOL - thank goodness we were very practiced in "retail shields" or I'd still be walking around with "dolphin" energy.
This can't be a super long blog post - I have laundry to fold and a baby about to wake up. But tell me, what are your thoughts on shielding and meditation. Do you have any pointers for creating fast and strong shields?
Happy weekend to all of you! I hope your weather is as glorious as ours is this weekend!
I'm fascinated! I have never heard of this before - but, I understand what you mean by it and I practice it - but not often enough. I easily get sucked down into the bog of bad energy, sometimes from others and more than not, from myself (which is the worst).
ReplyDeleteThanks for the insightful post.
And what the heck is dolphin energy!?
Yeah, I have NO idea what an energy dolphin is and I really didn't want to find out! For a lot of years, I attracted what I later called "energy vampires". You know, the type of person that really just takes your energy for their own. It always ends up being about them. Something horrible happens to you and you invite them over for some tears and wine and you spend the whole night talking about them. That kind of thing. When I finally started to recognize those types of people, I started practicing shielding. It can be as simple as recognizing the person is trying to take your energy to a more complex shield where you create a real energetic shield around you.
DeleteI'm not sure how you can shield yourself from your own bad energy though! But I always find meditation good for that sort of thing. Envisioning bringing in clean energy with the inhale and with the exhale - pushing the bad energy out.
Thanks for the timely reminder. I used to shield all the time when I worked as a bank teller. It helped when I wore doc martens as they really gave me some inner strength, & helped me to stay grounded & remote from any bad energy that might be coming at me from the other side of the counter!
ReplyDeleteDolphin energy? LOL! I hate it when people put thier reiki hands on me. Ugh!
x
Reading this I realized that shielding is something I do unconsioucly—to the point that my shields sometimes stay in place when I don't want them to, and I keep good energy out!
ReplyDeleteI forget to shield more often when I'm doing a hundred things at once, which seems like most of the time lately. It's a good practice for someone who is empathic, because it can be really overwhelming being around crowds of people in a mall or at an event. I like to shield when someone is getting too close to my personal space too. They usually back up fast - lol!
ReplyDelete